Thursday, October 3, 2013

Taylored Expressions October Release Day: Christmas Treat Toppers, Color Block & Snowflake Cutting Plates

Hello! Welcome to Taylored Expressions October Release Day! All new stamps and dies are available in the TE store now!

I have a couple of projects to show you today. First is a card using both new cutting plates, the Color Block Cutting Plate and the Snowflake Cutting Plate, which I have layered over a sheet of patterned paper that I created with my Gelli Arts printing plate and paints. I added stitching around the entire plate and around each color block.


The Color Block Cutting Plate comes with several layering dies that can be used with or without the cutting plate. I used a couple of them for my framed sentiment, Joy to the World, which is embossed onto chalkboard paper. The sentiment is from Big Bold Christmas.

A few weeks ago, I had more about 6 lbs of plums from my Bountiful Basket haul. I like plums, but not enough to eat that many. So, I decided to make plum jam... the result was 8 jars of yummy (if I do say so myself :)) jam. The first jar went to a friend/co-worker of my hubby. Since it was well received, I decided to make some gift packaging for a few more. I decorated the top of the jar with a candy cane die cut from Christmas Treat Toppers (one of five different dies that can be used to embellish your cards, scrapbook layouts and even as food decorations). The sentiment is from Baby, It's Cold Outside. Patterned paper is from the 'Tis the Season Project Pantry Kit.


I used Red Hot felt to create a bow using the Mix & Match Bows. To create the jam "holder", I used the Cupcake Wrap (I've created a brief tutorial on that below). Here's a detail shot of the packaged gift:


To create my jam holder, I used a full piece of felt cut from the Cupcake Wrap and another partial piece. My jam jars are half-pint sized, but also not the normal canning jars. They are these platinum wide mouth jars. I also cut a circle slightly larger than the bottom of my jam jar.


I stitched the two pieces of the cupcake wrap together (normally I would have used thread to match, but for purposes of the tutorial, I used a lighter thread so you can see where I stitched). Once I stitched two of the sides together, I wrapped it around the circle to see how much of the felt I would need to stitch around the circle. I trimmed the other edges of the cupcake wrap and stitched the other sides together to form the sides of the wrap (like a cone). Sorry this isn't more specific - I kind of eyeball projects like this when I make them. :)


Next, I attached the wrap with the circular bottom with pearl cotton thread using the blanket stitch.


Here's my completed holder:


And how the jam jar fits inside:


Please visit these Baker's Dozen Designers for more release projects:


Thanks so much for stopping by!

Joy to the World | Supplies from the TE store:


Stamps: Big Bold Christmas (TE)
Paper: Blue patterned paper created with Gelli Arts plate and paint, Choice Snow White, Chalkstock (TE)
Ink: Versamark Watermark (Tsukineko)
Accessories: Taylored Dies: Color Block Cutting Plate, Snowflake Cutting Plate (TE); White embossing powder, Silver pearls, Foam tape, Thread, Sewing machine.

Happy Holidays Jam Gift | Supplies from the TE store:


Stamps: Baby, It’s Cold Outside (TE)
Paper: ‘Tis the Season Project Pantry Kit (TE)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Accessories: Taylored Dies: Christmas Treat Toppers, Mix & Match Bows, Banner Stacklets 1 Cupcake Wrap, Red Hot felt (TE); Standard Circle and Scalloped Circle Nestabilities – Lg (Spellbinders), Glitter tape (American Crafts), Divine Twine, Hemp cord, Foam tape, Pearl cotton, Thread, Sewing machine.